Downtown - Laid out in 1828, the nine square block district is an example of the Washington-type plan in Georgia, which includes wide avenues and a public square. The Square is anchored by the present Neo-Greek Revival courthouse, which was built in 1904. The dome, which rises more than 100 feet above the square, was fitted for a four-face clock that was originally hand wound but was converted to electric in the mid 1900’s. The former Carnegie Library, the first Carnegie-endowed library in Georgia, is within this district, as well as four religious structures that represent the religious presence in central business districts. The historic black commercial section along East Broad Street is a rare survivor of the once common segregation of black and white commercial areas. Combined, the district tells the story of Newnan’s rich commercial history in the early 19th Century.