George M. Alexander -District 003 Post A
|Elected positions in the City of Newnan are non-partisan.
George Alexander was elected to and has served on the Newnan City Council since November 2003. He was born in El Paso, Texas and as the son of an Air Force Colonel, he lived throughout the United States. George has resided in the Greenville Street Historic District for 36 years. He is a retired Delta Pilot with 35 years of service. George is married to the former Pamela Johnson from Bowman, Georgia.
George is a 1976 graduate of Texas A&M where he attended on a four-year Navy scholarship. He earned a BBA in Business Management. He served in the United States Navy for 25 years in active and reserve roles as a Naval Officer and as a Fighter Pilot flying off of aircraft carriers. He is a graduate of the Naval Post Graduate School, the Naval War College, and the Air War College. George has been an Eagle Scout since 1967.
George's Community Service and Volunteerism include the following:
- Member of the Greek Orthodox Christian Church
- Distinguished past President of the Newnan Kiwanis Club and current member
- Life Member of The VFW and the American Legion
- District Chairman for Coweta County Boy Scouts, an Eagle Scout Board of Review Member
- Past CAFI (Community Action for Improvement) Board Member
- Past mentor for Coweta County Schools
- Founding Board Member of the Summit Family YMCA
- Past Board Member for the Newnan Boys and Girls Club
- Past Board Member and Chairman University of West Georgia, Newnan Campus
- Board Member of the Coweta County Board of Health
- Member of the Greenville-LaGrange Neighborhood Association and the Chalk Level Neighborhood Association
- Newnan Planning Commission from 1989-2003, 10 years as the elected Chairman
- Graduate of the Newnan Citizen Academy
- 285 hours of the Georgia Municipal Association continuing education - earning a Certificate of Dedication, an achievement earned by only 1% of all Georgia State elected officials