View this page in



Alcoholic Beverage Licenses

Alcoholic Beverage Licenses

City ordinances regulate the sale of alcoholic beverages in the City of Newnan.  It is unlawful for anyone to manufacture or sale any alcoholic beverage without a license from the City.  To obtain an alcoholic beverage license, the business must first be in possession of a current Retail Occupational Tax Certificate enabling them to do business in the City of Newnan.   No stand-alone bars or night clubs are permitted within the City limits.  The Alcoholic Beverage License Application form can be printed, completed and submitted to the City by the Owner, along with all required documentation as stated in the application.  There is a non-refundable $100 application fee which must be paid at the time of application.  No business license of any type will be issued by the City if the business or owner has any type of delinquent revenues (taxes, grass cutting, penalties, etc) due to the City.  For more information pertaining to Alcoholic Beverage Licenses, please see the City of Newnan Code of Ordinances, Part II, Chapter 3.  You may also email the City's Licensing Specialist for additional information.

Annual Alcohol License Renewals are required by December 31st each year for the following year.  Alcoholic Beverage Licenses are issued on a calendar year basis.  Renewal packets are typically mailed during the last week in September, with actual invoicing to follow in October.  License fees are based on the type of alcohol sold and whether the sales are off-premises or on-premises.  Please see the Fee Schedule for specific fees (located on Page 11) related to Alcohol Licensing.  Failure to provide all documentation and renew by December 31st will result in cancellation of the license.  If the license is not renewed by the due date, the owner will have to begin the application process anew, including advertising, etc., which can result in substantial fees and processing time.

Quarterly Sales Report     -     Businesses with on-premise consumption must maintain a ratio of at least 55% food sales (% of total gross receipts) at all times.  This information is reported to the City on the Quarterly Sales Report.  Failure to submit the quarterly report or maintain the correct ratio of food sales will result in revocation of the alcohol license. 

3% Alcohol Taxes   -    Establishments with on-premise consumption are required to collect the 3% tax on all alcohol sales and submit the  Mixed Drink Tax Report and fees collected for the City by the 10th day of the following month; otherwise a penalty will be imposed.  Postmark dates are accepted.  Failure to file the required report or pay the alcohol taxes collected on behalf of the City of Newnan will result in revocation of the alcohol license.  Alcohol purchases for resale by the business are to be made through the distributors and shall not be purchased at retail or wholesale stores or clubs by the business. 

Per City Ordinance, it is unlawful to grant a license for the sale of alcoholic beverages to:

  1. A person who is not of good character and reputation in the community in which he resides.
  2. A person who has entered a plea of nolo contendere within a five-year period prior to the date of application for a license, entered a guilty plea or been convicted of a felony, or of a crime opposed to decency and morality; or who has entered a plea of nolo contendere within a five-year period prior to the date of application for a license, entered a guilty plea or been convicted of a crime involving violation of the ordinances of the city relating to the use, sale, manufacture, distribution, taxability or possession of beer, wine or liquor or violations of the laws of the state and federal government pertaining to the manufacture, possession, transportation, use, or sale of beer, wine or intoxicating liquors, or taxability thereof.
  3. A person whose license under this chapter has been revoked for cause or who has had a license under this chapter revoked for cause.
  4. A person whose place or business is conducted by a manager or agent unless such manager or agent qualifies as the license representative.
  5. Any person who is under the age of 21 years or a person who is not of sound mind and memory.
  6. Any law enforcement officer and officer or employee of the city or county.
  7. Any person who is not eligible for a state alcoholic beverage license.